Kangal Dog Puppy

Kangal Dog Puppy

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chews Everything

I read somewhere that some LGD's chew alot. Ariella is certainly no exception. I can't imagine what it would take to puppy proof the house. No doubt folks who raise them as house pets have their hands very full. I find it quite humorous actually especially when I already had some heads up what to expect from what I had read. Every time I turn around she has her mouth on something, giving it a try to see if it is worthy of her efforts. It doesn't matter if it is wood, metal or stone. In the above picture she quickly grabbed the strap on the camera.

In this one she got a piece of charred wood out of the fire pit.




Arie can shred a pop can in nothing flat. I only let her play with this for photo purposes otherwise it would not be safe for her to have unsupervised access to anything like this.


I have learned to anticipate the things she might chew. In the below picture she nibbles on a bicycle tire.
She will chew on metal with the same enthusiasm as a raw beef bone. In the pickup truck she often gnaws on the metal seat belt buckles. Or when I had tools out she loves to pick them up in her mouth.
I am very much enjoying seeing all the characteristics of our new puppy. She is already very much the protector. When any of our older dogs or cats come near the pen she barks and growls ferociously. I tried to capture it on video but, have yet to get any decent footage as she will see me and stop. Also the older dogs don't like to be barked and growled at so they have learned to stay clear. I don't want her doing that to them but, I was hoping to get some video. However I hope to get them better socialized in the coming days so she might not do that anymore anyways. If I get some shots I'll post them otherwise I might have lost the opportunity. Just take my word for it she gets fierce. She was doing that by the second day. Never seen such a young pup be so protective.
The chewing I've seen before. The Rottweiler I had as a kid chewed on stuff but, especially liked to chew on rocks even eating them if I did not get to him in time. Ariella brought back memories for me just yesterday when I saw her gnawing on a rock. I said " what are you chewing on". then I reached in her mouth and pulled out a rock. And the Fila we had many years ago could do some major damage from chewing. We had left her in a stair well one time while we were gone and when we got back home all the carpet was shredded, the hand railing was destroyed and the door was half chewed through. Major damage from an unhappy pup who wanted to be with us. So I can imagine Kangal pups would be no different. If you plan to raise one in the house be forewarned. From what I've seen with Arie so far she would be a major challenge if we had her in the house.

I am seeing that the information I've seen about Kangal Dogs not being for everyone is very true. Arie is very smart with a very strong drive do do whatever she sets her mind to do. I can see that an older pup or dog would be extremely difficult to keep in if they want out. Arie has a high drive and determination to do what she wants. Getting her to do what "I" want is kind of like steering a high performance machine. It is possible but, not in a way most pet owners would expect. Harshness would only ruin a dog like this. She responds well to praise and treats. Almost too well with treats.
From our last chicken butchering I saved all the hearts and livers for Ariella. We boiled them then threw them in the freezer. When I want snacks for her I take some out and thaw them. She absolutely loves them. The other day I was training her with some liver chunks. I think she would have climbed a ten foot wall for me in order to get some of that. I gave her more than I normally would because I was having fun with her. The only problem was she has such a good memory that the next day every time she saw someone she started barking and fussing thinking she might get some more of those excellent treats. So I gave it a break for a couple days and she finally settled down. If Arie is typical of a Kangal, these are highly intelligent dogs and you have to stay a step ahead of them, otherwise they will be a step ahead of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment