Kangal Dog Puppy

Kangal Dog Puppy

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring time snow storm

We have quite a bit of deer bones and scraps that I have been feeding Arie all through the winter. In the below pictures she is enjoying cleaning up any left over meat sticking to a leg bone. These pictures were taken just days ago after we got a big spring snow storm here in the northwoods.

Arie gets every bit of meat off the bones as shown in this picture. And eventually will gnaw the bone down to pretty much nothing.





Here she is relaxing after having gotten her fill.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Last week I heard Arie howling for the first time. Some fire engines were going on a call, sounding their sirens which made her howl. I was surprised at how much she sounded like a wolf. She had a long, deep and drawn out howl which sounded remarkably like a wolf.


And speaking of wolves I have been hearing reports that the wolf pack is back in the area as people have been hearing them in various places. They had moved on the better part of last year and now they are back which makes me glad we have Arie. I realize she alone would be no match against a pack but, she can at least alert us if any comes anywhere near the animals.


I noticed something recently as Arie is spending more and more time with the main flock. She likes to lay amongst the sheep when I throw down fresh hay as shown in the picture from the last post. The thing I noticed is she almost mimics the sheep when they munch on the hay. She sees them doing it and now she has begun nibbling on it too. The first time I saw it was on a night like in the below picture, Arie was all stretched out being lazy, she worked her self over towards some fresh hay and began chewing on it. She wasn't eating it but, it sure seemed like she was imitating what she saw. I thought that was a very interesting thing. I've never seen anything like that, up until now that is, since she has done it numerous times since.

3 comments:

  1. If I fed Ender something like that he would have the runs for days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loren,
    I experimented for years with raw meat for a Siberian Husky that I used to have. I always had to start small and work my way into it if he hadn't had any raw stuff in awhile. I've done the same with Arie but, on a couple occasions pushed it too much and she did get the runs. But, if she has a little every day or every other day her stools are fine.

    However more recently I've pulled her off the raw diet hoping to tone down her play/chase/hunting drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How high is your fencing? We're getting our pup soon and trying to prepare our 28 acre farm for her.ive heard they are great jumpers and diggers. Have you had any issues with escapes?

    ReplyDelete